Friday, May 13, 2011

Human Nature


Human nature refers to the distinguishing characteristics, including ways of thinking, feeling and acting, that humans tend to have naturally.

The inspirational Johnny Waite posted this on facebook late last night, I shared it on my wall, but I wanted to post it here as well in case it was missed on the news feed as so many things often are.


I was immediately hooked watching this.  Each time he was turned down it was amusing, each time he asked a question and they answered it was intriguing.  I rewatched it this afternoon because I thought about it off and on all day.

Why are some people so closed off and afraid?  Why are others willing to share their feelings with a stranger...and not just about trivial questions.  I mean this guy was quizzing them on love, fear, government, and the meaning of life.  I felt myself answering each question as he asked them, agreeing or disagreeing with the comments he solicited, almost wishing I had been on that subway so I could have shared my thoughts.

Having a background in videography and video editing  I was also really drawn to the style of the film.  The interviews, less than ideal framing, less than ideal focus really conveyed the feeling of the tight quarters in the NY subway.  The people who he highlighted were from an amazing variety of cultural heritage.  The music was absolutely perfect.  It felt raw and unedited even though he took great care to edit seamless transitions.

I know it was a little longer than the normal video, but please, if you didn't watch the entire thing, take 12 minutes out of your day and watch it all.  You might take something away from it.

Once again, thanks to Johnny Waite for sharing and continuing to inspire me and I hope I can pass the feeling along to someone else.

2 comments:

  1. Re-watched the video... so inspiring, I hope one day we can say we've done our part to live the answers to our questions, rather than just think about what we'd say.

    You're an awesome writer Toad - keep it up. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the first time I got a chance to watch the video. For some reason I couldn't view it on my phone and so I just read the blog and forgot about it. This was an amazing movie to watch. I was sadden at the one guys answer of "Why are you here"? "Because I was born here". It was almost as if he took offense to the question...and maybe he has to defend himself and his citizenship daily for all I know. But, it was sad to me that immediately he took the defensive side. Interesting video, none the less. I smiled.

    ReplyDelete