Sunday, May 8, 2011

The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly

The Good:  I had a great Mother's Day with my parents and my grandmother.  We all went out to eat for lunch and spent the afternoon together.  We didn't do much in particular, but it was just a great day together with family.  After I drove back home I pumped myself up and went out to Rose Redman to run on the trails there.  Day two on the new shoes, and the long run for the week.  Once again the shoes felt great until half way through mile 4.




The Bad:  Half way through mile 4  I started developing a blister on my right foot, nothing major but enough to turn an enjoyable run into something far less so.  I dont know if it was the shoes or the fact that I was running on concrete trails.  I'm inclined to think its more the running surface but I'll know soon enough.  The awesome thing though, is that as soon as the run was over and I wasn't rubbing that blister over and over, my feet felt awesome, like I hadn't even run at all.  I really do like these shoes.



The Ugly:  I'm not a huge basketball fan, I keep up with it as a sports fan but my real enthusiasm has always been in baseball and then football.  I do like the Dallas Mavericks though, always have.  Way back to the days when Jim Jackson and Jamal Mashburn were teamed up with Jason Kidd and they were only winning a dozen games a year.  So, You'd think it wouldn't be in "the ugly" when I tell you that my favorite basketball team just swept the Lakers in the second round of the NBA playoffs.  Game 4 score - Mavs 122 - Lakers 86!

But, what was ugly, was the behavior of the Lakers players.  After getting their butts whipped for 4 games in a row, the two time defending champions resorted to dirty play.  As a result of their dirty play Lamar Odom and Andrew Bynum were both ejected from the game after dirty hits on Mavericks players.  Talk about sore losers... Go Mavericks!




I stole a cool widget from Sara and her new blog  "Just Call Me Grace" so I can keep track of my running - its over on the left of the blog!

3 comments:

  1. First, I love the new widget! Great steal! lol. Also, glad your shoes are still feeling great... hope the blister was just a fluke...
    What a bummer about the Lakers - so many people refer to them as such a classy team etc... guess not anymore! Can't be classy if you're a terrible, poor loser!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, you sound just like Heather... "Carolyn, you need more protein!" HAHA! Its true, my diet does have a tendency to lack in protein and be overabundant in carbs. C'est la vie, lol. I'll buy some protein powder this weekend, although not sure what I'll mix it with. Almond milk? I'm so lazy about making smoothies, although I do like them.

    I'm glad to hear that your SI joint has been feeling better, and your running is progressing. Yay! You want to know a secret when I do longer runs or hikes? I put deoderant on my feet (the white powdery stick kind). It helps cut down on friction in your sock, therefore no blisters! Also, even though they are stupidly expensive, its nice to get socks that are seamless and even sweat wicking. Just a tip from someone who has learned the hard way. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah almond milk is a great choice Carolyn - Beans are also an easy way to get some protein in - I also love these spinach tortillas they sell at the local healthy food store - they have 8 grams of protein - put you some beans and veggies inside and you're good to go!

    Awesome advice about the deodorant - never heard of/thought about that before.

    ReplyDelete