Wednesday, April 6, 2011

A Pain in the Ass (Part II)

Apparently it was a premature assumption that my current bout with my SI joint was nearing the end of its cycle.  The pain WAS almost gone though...I worked all day Saturday at my parent's farm helping my dad with his building project and I really didn't  have a single problem all day.  Sunday I was a little sore but it was a different pain than I normally experience so I figured it was just from all the activity on Saturday...

But Monday, everything changed.  Throughout the day the pain in my butt was pretty bad, but I had been invited to go to the Rangers game in Arlington by a friend of mine and there was no way I was going to let this butt pain beat me!  And so, after hobbling around the ballpark for a couple hours and four hours of sitting in a car (round trip), I found myself in debilitating pain Monday night. 

For example...I live in a really small house and it normally takes about 10 seconds (literally) to walk from the kitchen to my bedroom (and that's the entire length of the house).  Monday night it took me 15 minutes to make the same journey.  With each step, the intense pain shooting into me made my leg want to buckle.   When I finally did make it to the bedroom it was another 5 minutes just to transition from standing to laying down in bed...and that's when the real problem started.  It didnt matter if I was laying on my back, either side, or my stomach, each position somehow was irritating the problem and making it impossible to sleep.


And to make it worse (yes it got worse) each time I shifted my weight or body even a fraction of an inch to try and find a comfortable spot, pain would shoot through me.  At 5am, on the verge of tears, I called Heather for ideas.  I was sure that I needed surgery or maybe even amputation!!...something to end this.  I willed myself out of bed and back across the house, I took 8 ibuprofen, sported my stylish SI belt which is supposed to help support the SI joint and hobbled back across the house.

I sat down at my computer chair and was actually more comfortable sitting than I had been laying down all night.  I dozed off in the chair, woke up 45 minutes later and BAM.  I was considerably better.  I could walk with minimal pain and standing up wasn't excruciating...but how did this happen?

Rather than think about it too long I hurried back to the bedroom, laid back down (with hardly any pain) and passed out for two hours.  When I woke, I was fearful that I'd be all locked up again, but I wasn't.  It was the same.  I had an 11:30 appt. with my chiropractor, and after she twisted me like a pretzel and body-slammed me a few times there was hardly a trace of pain again.


The rest of the day went smoothly and when I woke up this morning everything was still moving smoothly.  I have no idea what caused the pain to start, or exactly why it left... But I can tell you that today I'm going to enjoy every step I take.

2 comments:

  1. Gosh JT, I'm so sorry that your pain gets that bad. :( I wish I could say something that would help, but all I can really do is just pray for you. I truly hope they can figure out what the problem is and how to fix/prevent it from happening again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the new description babe <3 I really enjoy your posts, you're just as whitty and entertaining as a writer as you are in real life! Keep up the good work and TAKE CARE OF THAT BUTT! :)

    ReplyDelete